When one says Goa, most of us visualize the pristine beaches, the vast ocean, the cultural heritage of South Goa and the hippie rave culture of the North. But thinking about it from a traveler’s point of view, there is so much more to explore in Goa. Goa is blessed with many big and small hills, from where streams, springs and beautiful waterfalls emerge. Although there aren’t many waterfalls in Goa, the few which are there are worth visiting, at least once in your life.
Goa is blessed with a varied landscape, since it is situated in the Sahyadris, and these waterfalls are surrounded by greenery, rocks and sanctuaries that leave you gawking in amazement. In the list of the best Dudhsagar waterfalls in Goa, the number one is Dudhsagar waterfalls. Situated on the Goa-Karnataka border, Dudhsagar is a magnificent waterfall in Goa. It originates from the Mandovi River and the water falls from a height of 130 meters. The water of this waterfall is quite milky in texture, which is how the name of this waterfall is derived. Dudhsagar waterfall is the fifth largest waterfall in India.
How to reach ?
Dudhsagar waterfall is situated on the Goa-Karnataka waterfall (although mostly in Goa). Located at about 71 km from the state capital Panjim, the Dudhsagar waterfall is accessible by train or on foot only. These are some of the best ways to reach Dudhsagar:
If you are fond of trekking, then one of the most thrilling ways to visit Dudhsagar waterfalls is the Dudhsagar trek. There are two different treks to reach Dudhsagar:
Best time to visit
The magnificent Dudhsagar waterfalls goa is running 12 months a year, although one needs to be aware of the time of visit. The ideal time to visit Dudhsagar falls is between Octobers to November, when the atmosphere is quite breezy, just after the rainy season, and is suitable even if you’re trekking your way to the waterfall. During the rainy season from June to September, the water is flowing in full force and is not advisable to visit, since there have been a lot of accidents due to the stormy weather and the force of water sweeping away with huge force.
Hidden amidst the wilderness of Dudhsagar is an adventure camp: Castle Rock Adventure Camp. Bunker beds, a tranquil atmosphere, serene playgrounds and various trekking expeditions are the highlights of this camp. One can spend his night here for merely Rs. 150 per night, excluding the meals and other amenities.
Making the plans
Visiting the Dudhsagar waterfalls is one of the most thrilling adventures when in Goa, and when you plan your trip, there are a few things you should know beforehand:
- There are a few private operators that offer trips to the Dudhsagar waterfalls, along with a few tours operated by the GTDC (Goa Tourism Development Centre).
- Most of these tours are via a car, and they charge per person.
- The tour begins with a drive through the forest, a small tour of the Mollem National Park, and the Mollem Wildlife Sanctuary. Average cost per person is Rs. 1800 and Rs. 1300 for children.
- These prices are completely dependent on the operators and might vary accordingly. These prices observe a hike during the peak seasons in Goa.
- Some of the operators also include a spice plantation tour along with this.
- These charges are inclusive of the safari ride through the national park, swimming equipment for swimming in the base of Dudhsagar waterfall, spice plantation drive and a complimentary visit to all the old churches in Goa.
- The operators offer a pick up and drop service from most of the famous beaches in North Goa only.
The entire forest tour, the waterfall trek and the lush greenery around it make Goa an all-round destination. If you’re looking for an out of the box adventure in Goa, apart from the beaches and the vacation vibes, you can always plan a trip to the Dudhsagar waterfalls. For more information on the bookings and the reservation, visit our company website